21 July 2011

Soup & Salad

If you name your daughter "Apple" you might get a side eye from me, but I'm all for second chances. And a second chance is just what I needed to give actress Gwenyth Paltrow, who, as it turns out, wrote an awesome cookbook. Our friends Paul and Lindsay (who I'd comfortably label "foodies") gave us this book as a housewarming gift a couple weeks ago and I've been loving my kitchen life ever since.

Being married to a pastor I have ample opportunity to hone my culinary skills. Tonight we had a couple from church over for dinner and with the heat today, I decided to go simple: soup and salad. I've also been trying to health-up our (well, "my"- and John's be default) eating habits by reducing refined sugars and using more fresh, nutrient rich ingredients. Our eating habits weren't bad... but there's always room for improvement.

On the menu:
Pesto

I've always wanted to make my own pesto, but that much basil is pricey to buy in store. Luckily the basil plants in my garden are doing great and I've been searching for reasons to use it!

This is a basic recipe:
  • 1 cup basil leaves
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 3 tbs Parmesan (I use nutritional yeast)
  • 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • Combine and blend

Basil from my garden (1 cup)
Photobucket

I use nutritional yeast instead of Parmesan because I'm lactose intolerant. Nutritional yeast has a savory taste that rivals the best cheese and is full of B vitamins (3 tbs).
Photobucket

Photobucket

Love my Magic Bullet!
Photobucket

Delicious on a fresh baked loaf of bread.
Photobucket


Slow Roasted Tomato Soup
  • This recipe is copyrighted but worth buying (or borrowing from the library) this cookbook!

    Photobucket

    Slow Roasted Tomatoes. These take 4 hours at 250* so I left my oven on while I drove to pick up John from work; I worried the entire time. I left the doors unlocked in case the house burned down so our cat Jasper could escape. Like that would help.
    Photobucket

    Soup! (My plating-without-spilling-on-the-edge skills need some practice)

    Photobucket


    Inspired by blogger Mama Natural I made the switch this month from regular iodized salt to natural salt, which contains lots of good-for-you trace minerals. The salt has a more earthy taste than what I'm used to, but I am starting to prefer it.
    Photobucket

Mayo-less Tuna Salad
  • recipe found here (skinnytaste.com)

    Capers, arugula, and pasta oh my!
    Photobucket

Berry Crumble
  • Another copyrighted recipe (again- buy this cookbook!) but what I love about this recipe is that it only uses 1/3 cup brown sugar. The rest is all natural sweetness from the fruit. Awesome!

    I used strawberries (picked 'em myself when we went berry picking with our small group!), raspberries, and blackberries.
    Photobucket

    Photobucket

    Photobucket

The only problem I really had with this meal was that a certain someone kept napping in the middle of my kitchen rug and refusing to move out of my way. He also went a little nutso when I opened the tuna can for the salad. Good thing he's cute. ;)

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I love pesto on bread, and that berry crumble looks delicious! I definitely need to check out that cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For real! It has such great simple but delicious and healthful recipes. I am picky about cookbooks but I love this one!

    ReplyDelete